Help us design the Menace's logo for 2019 and beyond. Pictured are the previous Menace logos (top row) and our current logo (bottom left). What's next?
2018 is the 25th season of Menace Soccer,
and we’re just getting started.
For all you graphic designers out there, here’s your chance
to create a new logo we’ll all proudly wear for years to come.
Bonus: If your design is chosen, you’ll win $5,000!
Updated May 20, 2018: We've extended the deadline to June 1st.
Updated July 3, 2018: We have decided to not continue this contest.
That’s right. We know you’ve got great ideas, so share them. Get your creative juices flowing, and start working on your artistic vision for the Menace. You’ve got until June 1st, 2018 to submit your top design.
But, there’s more. We want our fans to be part of the process, too.
Our staff will choose our favorite submissions, and then our fans will have the chance to vote – online and at 2018 home games – for their favorite logo design.
Based on the voting, our goal is to unveil the new logo (and the winning designer) – during halftime of the Menace’s home game on Saturday, July 14th, 2018 at Valley Stadium.
How do I submit my design?
Email your Menace logo to Adam.Small@MenaceSoccer.com by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, June 1st, 2018 in a jpg format in a file size not exceeding 5 MB. Please include your name, age, mailing address and phone number. Please use the subject "Logo Redesign."
In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years old and an Iowa resident.
One entry per person.
What are the brand standards?
1. While we’re legally known as “FC Des Moines,” our team name is not changing from the “Des Moines Menace.” This is not a “Name the Team” promotion, so it’s probably not worth your time to come up with something wacky like the Des Moines Kicking Kangaroos or the Iowa Pork Chops.
2. We’re also sticking with the familiar Menace colors of Red, Black, and White. Please place the logo on a white or transparent background.
3. Please include a star (it does not need to be Gold, like in our current logo), commemorating our 2005 Premier Development League championship.
4. The new logo should reflect the community (e.g., Des Moines, central Iowa, our state) and what makes it so great. Bonus points for any symbolism that helps share this story.
5. It’s got to be awesome. We want to capture the passion, the commitment, the performance, and the excitement of Menace Soccer.
6. It also has to be your work, not the work of any other person, and not subject to any 3rd-party copyrights. Your submission of a design is your agreement that the logo and the incorporated designs are exclusively your property and not the property of 3rd parties.
Anything else to keep in mind?
1. Glad you asked. Thanks!
2. This logo needs to have enough simplicity that it clearly screams “MENACE” from near and far, on everything, big and small, from websites to printed materials to signage to soccer balls to screen printing and embroidery on uniforms and fan gear.
3. The logo should be easily adapted to the logos for our youth-soccer programs: the Menace Academy, Junior Menace, and Menace Camp. For now, all we’re asking for is the design of the Menace’s primary logo. If you win, we will be asking you to provide the logos for Menace Academy, Junior Menace, and Menace Camp.
4. We want our new logo to stand out from the crowd. How does your design make this an instantly identifiable image that people recognize as a proud expression of Des Moines Menace Soccer?
5. In exchange for the payment of the contest prize of $5,000, the winning participant will be required to sign an agreement assigning all ownership, copyright, and other intellectual property rights to the logo and the related design to the Menace, in an agreement to be provided by the Des Moines Menace (dba FC Des Moines, L.C.). The Des Moines Menace may modify or revise the winning logo as it sees necessary to achieve the organization’s goals. The Des Moines Menace reserves the right to not select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
6. The Des Moines Menace may impose such other rules and regulations as it deems appropriate and may also choose to end the contest early or extend deadlines as it deems necessary or appropriate.
Tell me more about the $5,000 prize.
1. Just so we’re clear: $5,000 goes to the winner. This includes $2,500 for the primary logo and $2,500 for the secondary logos (i.e., the logos for the Menace Academy, Junior Menace and Menace Camp, and any other request designs).
2. The winning designer will provide the final files, in all requested formats, by July 31st, 2018. This includes approved high-resolution (300 dpi) vector eps and jpg files for the Menace’s primary logo, along with any secondary logos and logos for the Menace Academy, Junior Menace and Menace Camp.
3. The winning designer will need to sign and provide any requested legal documents to ensure full and timely payment.
4. The winner may also receive some pretty cool t-shirts to proudly sport the new Menace logo.
5. Plus, we’ll throw in a couple season tickets for the 2019 season.
GOOD LUCK, and thanks for being part of Menace Soccer!
Story posted Friday, March 9, 2018
Story updated Sunday, May 20, 2018 to extend the deadline, which was originally announced as May 20th.