Nicole Pearson, Adam Knight and the Menace wrap up the season at home. Photos by Joe Sprunger
It all comes down to this: a three-day, four-game weekend to close the Menace’s 2017 schedule.
The men host Saint Louis FC U23 on Friday and Chicago FC United on Saturday; the women host the Chicago Red Stars Reserves on Saturday at Valley Stadium and the GSI Pride (Kansas City) on Sunday at the Urbandale Soccer Complex.
If you need some motivation to pull yourself out of the air-conditioning, we’ve got you covered:
1. LAST CALL: This could be the Menace’s only home action until May 2018. You’ll be kicking yourself if you miss these games!
2. PDL PLAYOFF RACE: With a win on Friday or Saturday, the Menace can clinch a spot in the Premier Development League postseason. The team’s clinging to second place in the Heartland Division’s heated contest, and the top two teams advance to the playoffs.
3. SETTLING THE WPSL STANDINGS: The last weekend of the Women’s Premier Soccer League season is a showcase of the top three teams in the Heartland Region. The second-place Menace hosts third-place Chicago on Saturday, then the first-place GSI Pride on Sunday. GSI is in the driver’s seat for the region’s lone postseason spot; the Menace and the Red Stars are contending for second place.
4. TIME FOR PAYBACK: The Menace men and women have yet to defeat their weekend opponents (In case you’re wondering, they have a combined 0-8-5 all-time mark against these teams.). In PDL action, Saint Louis FC U23 and Chicago have already won on the Menace’s home turf. In WPSL play, the Menace is hungry for more after leaving Chicago with a 1-1 tie this past Saturday.
5. FIREWORKS FRIDAY: Stick around after the weekend opener and enjoy our second and final pyrotechnic display of the season. Fans who want to watch from the field are encouraged to bring blankets.
6. SOCCER-FILLED SATURDAY: It’s a doubleheader against Chicago’s top amateur teams, with the women kicking off at 4:30 and the men following at 7:30.
7. FREE-SOCCER SUNDAY: Come to the Urbandale Soccer Complex (at the intersection of Meredith Drive and 104th Street) to cheer on the Menace women in their season finale. There’s no charge for this one, and you might want to bring folding chairs or blankets.
Thanks for your continued support of the Des Moines Menace – Iowa’s premier men’s and women’s soccer teams. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Story posted Monday, July 10, 2017