The Menace won this June 11 match, 3-1, at Indianola Stadium. The team gets a rematch with Minnesota on its home field.
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Tuesday, June 20, 2017 – Another Interstate-35 trip is in store for the Des Moines Menace women.
Following a weekend in Kansas City, they’ll head north tomorrow for a midweek matchup – their third Women’s Premier Soccer League game in five days. The Minnesota TwinStars host the Menace at 3:15 p.m.
The Menace had mixed results in its first road trip. Des Moines won 2-0 over the Kansas City Courage on Saturday and lost 3-0 to the GSI Pride on Sunday.
Tomorrow’s match comes 10 days after the Menace won 3-1 over the TwinStars in Indianola. Des Moines carries a 7-0-0 record in the teams’ all-time series.
Des Moines Menace at Minnesota TwinStars
Date and time: Wednesday, June 21 at 3:15 p.m. CDT
Venue: Minnetonka High School Stadium (artificial turf) in Minnetonka, Minn.
Competition: Women’s Premier Soccer League regular season
Live updates: https://twitter.com/MenaceSoccer
Followed by: 5:30 p.m. National Premier Soccer League match, Med City FC (Rochester, Minn.) at Minnesota TwinStars
ABOUT THE MENACE
- 2-1-1 in its fifth WPSL season (sixth season overall).
- Finished last season 6-1-1, second of five teams in the WPSL Heartland Region.
- Led by third-year head coach Justin Vorster, who is assisted by Alex Fonseca, Ross Alexander and Hugo Macedo.
- Rebecca Rodgers leads the team with three goals; Elise White (Reid), Ann Marie Jaworski, Whitney Sharpe and Jermaine Seoposenwe have also scored for the Menace.
ABOUT THE TWINSTARS
- 0-2-1 in their fourth WPSL season.
- Playing for the first time since a 3-1 loss to the Menace on June 11.
- Finished last season 2-5-1 and fourth in the Heartland Region.
- Coached by Bulut ‘Turk’ Ozturk.
- The Menace has won all seven matches against the TwinStars in a series that began in 2014.
- Des Moines has outscored Minnesota 20-4 overall.
- This is the teams’ second and final meeting this season.
- On June 11, the Menace beat the TwinStars, 3-1. Whitney Sharpe and Rebecca Rodgers (two goals) scored for the home side, and Kaelyn Korte scored for the visitors.
RECAPPING LAST WEEKEND
- Goals from Rebecca Rodgers (67th minute) and Jermaine Seoposenwe (78th) last Saturday paved the way for a 2-0 win over the Kansas City Courage.
- On Sunday afternoon, the Menace dropped a 3-0 decision to the GSI Pride. The home side scored in the 58th, 66th and 88th minutes.
ABOUT THE WOMEN’S PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE
- Formed in 1998, the WPSL has over 100 teams across the United States.
- Its main focus is on the development of highly competitive premier women’s soccer teams.
- Des Moines plays in the Heartland Region along with the GSI Pride (Kansas City), Chicago Red Stars Reserves, Kansas City Courage and Minnesota TwinStars.
- This is the Menace’s last match until July 8, when the team visits the Chicago Red Stars Reserves.
- The Menace closes the season at home: July 15 against Chicago at Valley Stadium and July 16 against the GSI Pride at Urbandale Soccer Complex (Note the change from Johnston Soccer Complex).
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. In their sixth season, the Menace women are part of the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL). The Menace men’s team, in its 24th season, competes in the Premier Development League (PDL). With loyal support, the Menace men’s and women’s teams play their home games at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines to provide family fun entertainment. The Menace organization grows soccer by providing youth programs including Junior Menace (ages 3-9), Menace Youth Academy (ages 8-19) and youth tournaments, camps and clinics.