Menace midfielder Mueng Sunday is back for his fourth season with the Menace. He wears No. 18.
Every week we spotlight Menace players in our “7 Facts” series. Make sure you’re paying attention – there’s an “alternative fact” in each story.
Let’s get to know Mueng Sunday, who is back for his fourth straight season with the Menace.
1. He was born in Mangu, Nigeria and moved to Iowa when he was 7 years old.
2. Mueng was the 2013 Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year as a high school senior and helped the Iowa City West Trojans to three state titles as a freshman, junior and senior.
3. He was a Drake University starter and was selected to the 2016 National Soccer Coaches Association of America Division I Men’s All-West Region Third Team. He was also a two-time All-MVC First Team honoree.
4. Mueng is the only Menace player who was on the team for the past three Heartland Division titles.
5. While he enjoys playing soccer, his real passion is basketball.
6. He scored the goal that clinched the Menace’s 2014 Central Conference Championship title.
7. When he’s not playing soccer, Mueng loves to read. His favorite book is “Gerrard: My Autobiography,” about the Liverpool and England football hero Steven Gerrard.
Did you catch this week’s alternative fact? That’s right, it was number 5…Mueng likes playing soccer more than basketball, although he did play point guard in high school.
Thanks for being with us this season, and thanks for your support of Mueng and the Menace!
7 fact series