Chicago topped the Menace, 3-0, in this WPSL match on May 31, 2014. Des Moines seeks its first win against Chicago.
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Thursday, June 4, 2015 – The Des Moines Menace women seek payback against the Chicago Red Stars Reserves in this Saturday’s 4:30 p.m. matchup at Valley Stadium.
Coming off a 1-1 home tie last Saturday against Kansas City and a 2-0 loss at Quad City the following day, the Menace is due for a hard-earned breakthrough in their Women’s Premier Soccer League schedule.
The Menace takes on Chicago, whose first team plays in the National Women’s Soccer League – the highest level of professional women’s soccer in the United States. On their way to the Midwest-Central Division championship, the inaugural Red Stars (9-0-1) beat the Menace twice last season, accumulating an aggregate scoring advantage of 9-2.
Payback will be on the Menace’s agenda for the following weekend, as well. Des Moines gets another shot at Quad City next Saturday (June 13) at Cownie Soccer Park. The Menace travels for a rematch with Kansas City the following day. Justin Vorster’s team will play three straight road matches before returning to Valley Stadium on July 11 for their home finale, against Fire and Ice SC.
Chicago Red Stars Reserves at Des Moines Menace
Date and time: Saturday, June 6 at 4:30 p.m.
Venue: Valley Stadium (turf) in West Des Moines, Iowa
Competition: Women’s Premier Soccer League regular-season match
Match followed by: 7:30 p.m. exhibition match between the Menace and the Muskegon Risers.
Promotions: Youth Soccer Night: $1 admission to players and coaches in their team jerseys
ABOUT THE MENACE
- Enters match with a record of 1-1-1.
- Roster features 12 returning players.
- Ashlie Stokes, Danielle Puddefoot, and Katie Hurd have scored the team’s goals.
- Finished second in the WPSL Midwest-Central Division in 2014 (7-3-0).
- Justin Vorster leads the charge in his first year as field general.
ABOUT THE RED STARS RESERVES
- 1-0-0 in their second season as the reserve squad of the NWSL’s Chicago Red Stars.
- Won the Midwest-Central Division with a 9-0-1 record and lost 4-0 in the 2014 WPSL semifinals to Beach Club Futbol on July 26 in Maryland.
- Opened season with a 3-0 home win over Minnesota TwinStars on May 29 with goals from Jacie Jermier, Jade Klump, and Courtney Raetzman.
- Led by head coach Chris King.
- Chicago made its WPSL debut on May 31 with a 3-0 win over the Menace at Valley Stadium.
- On June 15, the host Red Stars won 6-2; the Menace’s Jordan Bishop and Mercy Darkoah scored the match’s first two goals.
RECAP FROM LAST WEEKEND
- Des Moines earned a 1-1 in come-from-behind draw against the Kansas City Courage on May 30 at Valley Stadium; Menace veteran Katie Hurd scored the equalizer in the 75th minute.
- On May 31, the Menace travelled to Davenport, where it lost to the Quad City Eagles 2-0.
UP NEXT: AT COWNIE ON JUNE 13
- Des Moines takes on the Quad City Eagles at Cownie Soccer Park in a 7:30 p.m. matchup on June 13 following the Iowa high school girls 3A title match.
- Menace takes to the road the following day to play the KC Courage at 5 p.m.
- Following next weekend, the Menace’s only remaining home action is July 11 against Fire and Ice SC at Valley Stadium.
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. The Menace women debuted by winning the Women's League Soccer 2012 championship, and they followed this with a 2013 playoff berth in the Women's Premier Soccer League. They are back for their fourth season in the WPSL, a national league with more than 80 teams. In its 22nd season, the Menace men’s side competes in the 63-team Premier Development League (PDL). The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 8-18), camps, clinics, Junior Menace program and tournaments.
FOLLOW THE MENACE: