Haley Helverson (8) and the Menace opened the 2015 slate with a 2-0 win over Minnesota on May 23. Photo credit: R Image Studio
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Thursday, May 28, 2015 – With a season-opening win under their belts, new head coach Justin Vorster and the Des Moines Menace set their sights on the Kansas City Courage for a 4:30 p.m. Women’s Premier Soccer League fixture at Valley Stadium this Saturday.
The Menace prepares for a two-game weekend, with plans to travel to Davenport on Sunday to take on the Quad City Eagles at 5 p.m.
In 2014, the Menace was able to hold off the inaugural Courage to grab wins in both meetings. Des Moines won an exciting 3-2 home match on June 28, thanks to a late goal from Marissa Hurt. Des Moines was victorious on the road in comeback fashion, winning 2-1 on July 9.
Vorster’s forces look to build on last Saturday’s 2-0 home win against the Minnesota TwinStars. Ashlie Stokes and Danielle Puddefoot opened their scoring accounts in the second half, with goals in the 48th and 55th minutes, respectively.
The Menace reignites its in-state rivalry with the Quad City Eagles – a team that is back in action after a one-year hiatus. The teams split their two 2013 meetings, with the visitors escaping with wins each time.
Kansas City Courage at Des Moines Menace
Date and time: Saturday, May 30 at 4:30 p.m.
Venue: Valley Stadium (turf) in West Des Moines, Iowa
Competition: WPSL regular-season match
Match followed by: 7:30 p.m. Premier Development League match between the Menace and Springfield Synergy
Promotion: Blackout Night: Fans wearing black get in for $5.
ABOUT THE MENACE
- Finished 2014 with a record of 7-3-0.
- Won its season opener against Minnesota TwinStars 2-0 on May 23.
- Roster features 12 returning players.
- Led by first-year head coach Justin Vorster.
ABOUT THE COURAGE
- After opening the season with a pair of home matches, enters this weekend with a 1-1 record.
- Won 2-0 against Minnesota TwinStars on May 22 and lost 2-0 to Fire and Ice on May 24.
- Led by second-year head coach Wendy Louque.
ALL-TIME SERIES: MENACE VS. COURAGE
- After sweeping in 2014, the Menace leads the Courage, 2-0.
- After relinquishing a two-goal lead, Des Moines won 3-2 on June 28 at Valley Stadium. Haley Helverson scored in the 12th and 19th minutes, on assists from Marissa Hurt and from goalie Kelsey Brouwer. Helverson assisted Hurt’s game-winner in the 82nd minute.
- On July 9 in Kansas City, the Menace overcame an early deficit to win 2-1. Lauren Odino scored in the 27th minute and a KC own goal in the 71st minute decided the match.
ABOUT THE EAGLES
- Open the season on Saturday at home against the Minnesota TwinStars
- Entering their third season in the WPSL after sitting out the 2014 season.
- Led by third-year head coach Jon Mannall
ALL-TIME SERIES: MENACE VS. EAGLES
- These in-state foes are tied 1-1 in their all- time series.
- Quad City won 2-1 at Valley Stadium on June 22, 2013.
- The Menace responded with a 1-0 road win on July 6, 2013, to clinch a WPSL playoff berth.
ABOUT THE WOMEN’S PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE
- Started in 1998, the WPSL is made up of 82 teams, making it the largest national women’s soccer league in the world.
- Des Moines plays in the Midwest-Central Division along with teams from Chicago, Columbia (Ill.), Davenport, Kansas City (Mo.), and St. Paul.
- Midwest-Central Division teams play a home-and-home series with each team in the division.
RECAP FROM LAST SATURDAY
- The Menace topped Minnesota TwinStars 2-0 at Valley Stadium.
- Captain Ashlie Stokes and Danielle Puddefoot scored to lift Menace to season-opening victory.
- Justin Vorster collected his first win debuting as Menace head coach.
- Goalkeeper Karen Nordin got the win in her Menace debut.
UPCOMING HOME SCHEDULE
- After this weekend, the Menace plays at home the next two Saturdays.
- On June 6, the Menace hosts the Chicago Red Stars Reserves at Valley Stadium.
- On June 13, the Menace hosts the Quad City Eagles a Cownie Soccer Park.
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. The Menace women debuted by winning the Women's League Soccer 2012 championship, and they followed this with a 2013 playoff berth in the Women's Premier Soccer League. They are back for their fourth season in the WPSL, a national league with more than 80 teams. In its 22nd season, the Menace men’s side competes in the 63-team Premier Development League (PDL). The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 8-18), camps, clinics, Junior Menace program and tournaments.
FOLLOW THE MENACE: