Photo credit: Art Schramm Photography
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Friday, June 13, 2014 – A vengeful Des Moines Menace women’s squad knows not to take the next two opponents lightly.
With Women’s Premier Soccer League games against Fire and Ice SC on Friday and the Chicago Red Stars Reserves on Sunday, Des Moines (3-1-0) seeks revenge against the teams that handed the Menace its last two losses.
Friday’s opponent, Fire and Ice SC (2-1-1), knocked Des Moines from the WPSL playoffs with a 2-0 win in the 2013 Midwest Division championship last July. The Menace’s thrilling, 4-1 upset over the top-seeded Ohio Galaxies in the division semifinals set up the championship game, but Fire and Ice SC took the title the next day.
In the 2014 home opener, the visiting Chicago Red Stars Reserves dismantled the Des Moines defense, 3-0, on May 31. The three goals were the most the Menace has allowed in a game at home in three seasons. Sunday’s winner takes sole possession of first place in the WPSL Midwest Division. Chicago (3-0-0) has yet to allow a goal in WPSL action.
Des Moines has gotten revenge on teams in the past. In 2013, Des Moines lost the series-opening games against the Kansas City Shock and Quad City Eagles. In the next meeting, the Menace beat both teams. The 1-0 win against the Eagles clinched a playoff berth on the final day of the WPSL regular season.
After this weekend’s travels, Des Moines will host consecutive Saturday games, on June 21 (Madison) and June 28 (Kansas City). Both games start at 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium.
WPSL regular-season match: Des Moines Menace at Fire and Ice SC
Date and time: Friday, June 13 at 7 p.m.
Venue: Columbia High School (turf) in Columbia, Ill.
WPSL regular-season match: Des Moines Menace at Chicago Red Stars Reserves
Date and time: Sunday, June 15 at 4 p.m.
Venue: Benedictine University Sports Complex (turf) in Lisle, Ill.
Preceded by: National Women’s Soccer League match between the Chicago Red Stars and Sky Blue FC (1 p.m.)
ABOUT THE MENACE
- 3-1-0 – tied for first in WPSL Midwest Division standings with six points.
- Nicole Pearson and Haley Helverson have two goals to lead the team. Katie Hurd has a team-high two assists.
- Entered its third season with a 13-5-0 mark (6-4-0 in the 2013 WPSL season).
- Kevin Schalk is in his third year as the head coach.
ABOUT THE RED STARS RESERVES
- 3-0-0 in first season, as reserve squad of National Women’s Soccer League’s Chicago Red Stars.
- Sits in first in the WPSL Midwest Division standings.
- Defeated the Menace, 3-0, in the first meeting between the squads on May 31 at Valley Stadium.
- Has yet to allow a goal in three WPSL matches.
- Feature 13 players with NCAA Division-I experience.
- Chris King is the head coach.
ABOUT FIRE AND ICE SC
- 2-1-1 in second season of WPSL.
- Defeated Des Moines, 2-0, in the 2013 WPSL Midwest Division Championship on July 14 in Centerville, Ohio.
- Kat Roe and Kelsey Dinges lead the team with two goals.
- Lindsey Eversmeyer is the head coach.
RECAP FROM LAST SATURDAY
- The Menace completed its first sweep of a WPSL opponent with a 1-0 home win over the Minnesota TwinStars.
- Nicole Pearson tallied the only goal with a 25-yard free kick in the 42nd minute.
UP NEXT: HOME FOR A COUPLE WEEKS
- Des Moines stays home for games against the Madison 56ers on Saturday, June 21, and the Kansas City Courage on Saturday, June 28, both at Valley Stadium at 4:30 p.m.
- The June 21 game is “Paint the Stadium Red” Night. Fans wearing red receive $5 admission.
- The June 28 game will follow the Iowa girl’s high school all-star game (2 p.m.).
Des Moines Menace 2014 WPSL Schedule
Saturday, May 24 at Minnesota TwinStars W, 3-1
Saturday, May 31 Chicago Red Stars Reserves L, 0-3
Saturday, June 1 at Madison 56ers W, 3-0
Saturday, June 7 Minnesota TwinStars W, 1-0
Friday, June 13 at Fire and Ice SC 7 p.m. at Columbia (Ill.) High School
Sunday, June 15 at Chicago Red Stars Reserves 4 p.m. at Benedictine University Sports Complex
Saturday, June 21 Madison 56ers 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Saturday, June 28 Kansas City Courage 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Wednesday, July 9 at Kansas City Courage 7 p.m. at Bourke Field, Rockhurst University
Saturday, July 12 Fire and Ice SC 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Saturday, July 19 Midwest Regional Championship Time and venue TBD
July 25 or July 26 WPSL Semifinals Chesapeake, Md.
Sunday, July 27 WPSL Championship Chesapeake, Md.
All game times are central
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. The Menace women debuted by winning the Women's League Soccer 2012 championship, and they followed this with a 2013 playoff berth in the Women's Premier Soccer League. They are in their second season in the WPSL, a national league with more than 70 teams. Entering its 21st season, the Menace men’s side competes in the 64-team United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL). The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 9-19), camps, clinics, Junior Menace program and tournaments.
FOLLOW THE MENACE: