WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Friday, May 9, 2014 – Before starting competition in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and the Premier Development League, the Des Moines Menace has a final tune-up tomorrow night at Cownie Soccer Park.
In a 7:30 exhibition, the Menace takes on Imperio – the defending champion of the Des Moines International League. This offers Menace head coach Mike Jeffries an opportunity to evaluate players, as he sets the early-season roster.
Jeffries and company have a busy week ahead. On Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., the Menace hosts the rival Real Colorado Foxes at Valley Stadium. The teams battle to get past the second round of the 101st-annual U.S. Open Cup. The Menace opens the PDL season on the road next Saturday (May 17), facing the Springfield (Mo.) Demize.
Exhibition match: Imperio at Des Moines Menace
Date and Time: Saturday, May 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Venue: Cownie Soccer Park, Field 7 (grass) in Des Moines, Iowa
Admission: Free parking and free admission to the game
ABOUT THE MENACE
- Finished 6-6-2 in 2013 under first-year head coach Mike Jeffries.
- Prepares for its fifth-straight appearance in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (and ninth overall).
- Has announced 10 returning players, including 2013 all-PDL performer Brandon Fricke and Nico Wright, the team’s 2013 goals leader.
- Enters its 21st PDL season with an all-time mark of 187-112-31, seeking its 12th playoff berth (and first since 2011).
- Fall champion of the2013 Des Moines International Soccer League First Division.
- Features five players from previous Des Moines Menace squads Other alums include: Husref Jupic (2010-2013 Menace), Armin Mujdzic (2002-2007; 2009-2010), Kyle Reilly (1997-2000) and Tucker Sindlinger (2006-2009).
- Mujdzic led the team in scoring last season.
- Jaime Mora is Imperio’s head coach.
SEE THE MENACE, FOR FREE
- Cownie Soccer Park is on the east side of Des Moines, two miles east of Southeast 14th Street, at 2600 Hartford Avenue.
- All non-team personnel are being asked to sit on the field’s east side, opposite the team benches.
- With limited bleacher seating available, fans are encouraged to bring chairs.
- Cownie Soccer Park’s concession stand will be open.
- Official Menace merchandise available for purchase at the Fine Designs tent, located on the main concourse.
UP NEXT: WEDNESAY AT HOME, SATURDAY ON THE ROAD
- The Menace hosts Real Colorado on Wednesday, May 14, in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The United States Soccer Federation announced yesterday that if the Menace wins, the team hosts Minnesota United FC (North American Soccer League) on Wednesday, May 28; if the Foxes win, they play at Minnesota on May 28.
- Des Moines’ first PDL action is Saturday, May 17 at Springfield.
- The Menace hosts 116 boys and girls teams at Cownie Soccer Park on Saturday and Sunday, as part of the 2014 Menace Midwest Invitational.
- This is the third-straight tournament weekend for the Menace, which hosted 137 teams in the 2014 Just for Girls Tournament on April 26-27 and May 3-4.
- The organization also hosts the Just for Girls Fall Invitational in September and the Kick around the Clock 3v3 Tournament on Super Bowl weekend.
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. Entering its 21st season, the Menace men’s side competes in the 64-team United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL). The Menace’s women’s team played in the 2013 Women’s Premier Soccer League playoffs, after debuting as the Women’s League Soccer 2012 champions. The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 9-19), camps, clinics, Junior Menace and tournaments.
FOLLOW THE MENACE: