In Saturday night's U15/U16 girls final, a golden goal lifted tutu-sporting "Every Kick Begins with K" over "Organized Chaos," in a 9-8 OT thriller. The champions also earned "Coolest Uniforms" team honors for the High School Girls divisions; the finalists received the "Craziest Hair" award.
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014 – A new format and a new venue brought huge changes to the Kick around the Clock tournament in 2014.
A total of 71 teams competed in last weekend’s 3v3 soccer event at The U in Grimes, marking an increase of 44 teams from a year ago, when this was a 6v6 competition at Soccer House in West Des Moines. The Des Moines Menace, the host of this indoor tournament, switched things up after four straight years of growth at Soccer House.
The statewide soccer community responded in a big way, with boys and girls teams from across Iowa getting in the spirit of this fun event. The games went from 6 p.m. on Friday night (Jan. 31) until 2:30 a.m. early Saturday, then finished with a full slate on Saturday, from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. For most of the U8-18 tournament field, this was a first introduction to The U, a brand-new facility that opened in December. The event ran on three fields, each 50 feet long by 36 feet wide.
This Super Bowl tradition is one of four annual tournaments hosted annually by the Menace – Iowa’s Premier Soccer Team. From day one, the organization's goal for this tournament has been to give youth the chance to compete indoors in a fun, indoor environment, at a time of year when most people aren't even thinking about soccer. After seeing Kick around the Clock grow to more than 70 teams, we're already looking forward to next winter's event!
A HUGE “THANK YOU” TO:
- The participants from the 32 boys teams and 39 girls teams who gave it their best
- All the coaches and parents whose support made this possible, especially those who were with us past midnight
- Mother Nature, which cooperated on a snowy weekend, just enough, to ensure all 71 teams could make it
- Menace Academy coaches Kevin Schalk and Mark Newel for lining the fields
- Our partners at The U: Thanks to Marc Peterson, Brent Bitting, Carlo Walton and Spencer Cox for their hospitality
- Menace staff members Matt Homonoff, Abby Johnson, Matthew DeWitt, Yoana Atary, Morgan McLaughlin and Tucker Sindlinger
- The 20 referees who officiated the tournament’s 120 games
- Fine Designs Custom Apparel for working overtime to take care of our customers
CONGRATULATONS to all participants who received first- and second-place trophies, as well as team awards for the following categories: “Best Team Name” – “Friendliest Team” (Sportsmanship Award) – “Craziest Hair” – “Coolest Uniforms”
The final results (including scores from our 12 divisions and the list of team-awards recipients)
Thank you and best wishes!
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. Entering its 21st season, the Menace men’s side competes in the 64-team United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (PDL). The Menace’s women’s team played in the 2013 Women’s Premier Soccer League playoffs, after debuting as the Women’s League Soccer 2012 champions. The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 9-19), camps, clinics, Junior Menace and tournaments.