WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Friday, May 17, 2013 – The Des Moines Menace women start their season tomorrow against WSA Winnipeg.
The 4:30 p.m. exhibition is the only tune-up for the team’s May 26 Women’s Premier Soccer League season opener at Kansas City. In a major offseason move, Des Moines joined the WPSL after cruising to the Women’s League Soccer title in its inaugural season. The WPSL is a step up in competition from the WLS.
“We’re going to do what we do. We’re going to play our style, regardless of the competition,” head coach Kevin Schalk said of the move.
The Menace players mirror their coach’s confidence.
“Stepping up a level of competition is a great challenge,” said returning goalkeeper Andrea Swanson. “Kevin’s done a great job getting us mentally prepared for it and we’re ready to go.”
Exhibition: WSA Winnipeg at Des Moines Menace
Date and Time: Saturday, May 18 at 4:30 p.m. CDT
Venue: Valley Stadium (turf field) in West Des Moines, Iowa.
Doubleheader: The Menace men host WSA Winnipeg in 7:30 p.m. Premier Development League match.
ABOUT THE MENACE
- Finished their inaugural season as Women’s League Soccer champions with a 7-1-0 record and a goal differential of 41-5 over the season.
- Has 11 returning players including 2012 co-captains Jordan Bishop and Maggie (Kukuk) Wylie.
- Entering the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL).
ABOUT THE WOMEN’S PREMIER SOCCER LEAGUE
- Started in 1998, the WPSL is made up of 73 teams, making it the largest national women’s soccer league in the world.
- Des Moines plays in the Midwest Division along with teams from Kansas City (Kan.), Madison, and Quad City (Iowa).
- Midwest Division teams play a home-and-home series with each team in the division.
COMING UP: WPSL OPENER IN KANSAS CITY
- The Menace will be kicking off its WPSL season with a visit to the Kansas City Shock on Sunday, May 26 at 7:00 p.m.
- The ladies’ next home game will be against the Madison 56ers, in a doubleheader with the men on Saturday, June 8. Women will begin at 4:30 p.m., followed by the men’s PDL revenge-match against Springfield (Mo.) at 7:30 p.m.
MENACE HEAD COACH KEVIN SCHALK
- Guided the inaugural Menace women to the 2012 Women’s League Soccer championship.
- Serves as the Youth Development Director for the Des Moines Menace Academy.
- Joined the Menace organization in spring 2010.
- Has nearly 20 years’ experience developing talent at the club, Olympic Development Program, high school and college levels.
- Is a native New Yorker who tended goal for the College of Charleston and the United States’ U15, U17 and U21 national teams. Played professionally for the Charleston Battery.
Des Moines Menace 2013 WPSL Schedule
Saturday, May 18 WSA Winnipeg (E) 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Sunday, May 26 at Kansas City Shock 7 p.m. at KC Kansas Community College
Saturday, June 8 Madison 56ers 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Sunday, June 9 Kansas City Shock 4:30 p.m. at Teamwork Acres
Saturday, June 15 Exhibition TBA 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Saturday, June 22 Quad City Eagles 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Friday, July 5 at Madison 56ers 6 p.m. at Breese Stevens Field
Saturday, July 6 at Quad City Eagles 3 p.m. at Pleasant Valley High School
All game times are central
E = Exhibition
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. The Menace’s women’s team enters the Women’s Premier Soccer League in 2013, after debuting as the Women’s League Soccer 2012 champions. The Menace teams play their home matches in a fun, family-friendly environment at Valley Stadium in West Des Moines. The organization promotes a healthy lifestyle through its popular youth programs, including the Menace Academy (select soccer for ages 9-19), camps, clinics, Junior Menace and tournaments.
FOLLOW THE MENACE: