The Menace plays a pair of 2018 home matches at Valley Stadium -- June 30 and July 7. Photo credit: Joe Sprunger
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Tuesday, March 27, 2018 – The seventh season of Des Moines Menace women's soccer opens June 2 in Grimes and closes with three home contests during the final two weekends.
Following four straight Women’s Premier Soccer League matches on the road, the Menace hosts a pair of matches at Valley Stadium – June 30 and July 7 – and one in Ankeny on July 1.
A reshuffled alignment places the Menace in the Heartland Conference with two teams from Kansas City – the Courage and the Athletics – and two from St. Louis. Fire and Ice SC is back on the Menace’s schedule for the first time since 2015; the St. Louis Lions roar into their inaugural WPSL season.
Fourth-year Menace head coach Justin Vorster is assembling the team that will once again represent the highest level of women’s soccer in Iowa. Open tryouts are set for April 21 at Valley Stadium.
GET YOUR TICKETS
Fans can click here to purchase season tickets for admission to all home matches for the Menace men’s and women’s teams. The Menace hosts men’s-women’s doubleheaders at Valley Stadium on June 30 and July 7, giving fans two games for the price of one.
DES MOINES MENACE 2018 WPSL SCHEDULE
Saturday, June 2 Fire and Ice SC 4:30 p.m. at Grimes Sports Complex
Saturday, June 9 at Fire and Ice SC 7 p.m. at Althoff Catholic High School
Sunday, June 10 at St. Louis Lions 2 p.m. at Tony Glavin Complex
Saturday, June 16 at Kansas City Courage 4 p.m. at Northeast High School
Saturday, June 23 at Kansas City Athletics 3 p.m. at Shawnee Mission South High School
Saturday, June 30 Kansas City Courage 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Sunday, July 1 St. Louis Lions 4:30 p.m. at Prairie Ridge Sports Complex
Saturday, July 7 Kansas City Athletics 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Friday, July 13 Women’s Premier Soccer League Playoffs
Saturday, July 14 Women’s Premier Soccer League Playoffs
Friday, July 20 Semifinals, Women’s Premier Soccer League Playoffs
Saturday, July 21 Women’s Premier Soccer League Championship
All games are listed in Des Moines time.
Related link: 2018 schedule for the Menace WPSL and PDL teams
- The Menace thanks Dallas Center-Grimes Soccer Club (June 2) and the Iowa Rush (July 1) for hosting games on their grass fields.
- 2017 Menace finished 3-3-2 in the WPSL Heartland Region.
- Fire and Ice (playing 2018 home matches in Belleville, Ill., near St. Louis) competed against the Menace from 2013 to 2015.
- The St. Louis Lions have competed against the Menace in the Premier Development League Heartland Division since 2006; the organization added a women’s team this offseason.
- The Kansas City Athletics rebranded after going 7-0-1 as the GSI Pride in the club’s first season.
- With 106 teams, the WPSL – the world’s largest women’s soccer league – comprises four regions and 17 conferences.
- The Central Region encompasses the Menace’s Heartland Conference and the North, Southwest and South Texas conferences.
- The Menace women are 32-17-5 all-time, with a 25-16-5 mark in five WPSL seasons.
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. Preparing for its 25th season, the Menace men’s team competes in the Premier Development League (PDL). Entering its seventh season, the Menace women’s team is part of the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL). The Menace organization provides the growth of the game of soccer in Iowa with its youth soccer programs, including Junior Menace (ages 3-9), Menace Youth Academy (ages six and older), and tournaments, camps and clinics.