The Menace's 2017 WPSL schedule will start where last year's schedule ended -- at Grimes Sports Complex, in this 4-2 win over Minnesota on July 17, 2016. Photo credit: Joe Sprunger
WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Friday, March 24, 2017 – Fans have the opportunity to see the Des Moines Menace women compete in four home venues during the upcoming season.
Justin Vorster’s team will host Women’s Premier Soccer League matches in West Des Moines (May 20 and July 15), Grimes (June 4), Indianola (June 11) and Urbandale (July 16).
Heading into their sixth season, the Menace ladies look to build on what could be called their best showing yet. In 2016, Des Moines compiled a 6-1-1 record to finish second in the Heartland Region.
“We are excited to partner with local clubs to bring the state’s highest level of women’s soccer to communities across greater Des Moines,” said Menace general manager Matt Homonoff. “Thank you to Dallas Center-Grimes Soccer Club, the City of Grimes, Indianola Soccer Tribe and the Johnston-Urbandale Soccer Club for their support.”
- The WPSL Heartland Region welcomes the GSI Pride, an expansion team supported by Kansas City-based Global Sports International.
- The Quad City Eagles – the Menace’s only in-state rivals – have ceased operations after four WPSL seasons (2012-13 and 2015-16).
- On the last two Saturdays of the season, the Menace will go for their first win against the Chicago Red Stars Reserves, who carry a three-peat as the region’s champions.
- The team’s two matches at Valley Stadium (a Red-Black exhibition on May 20 and the matchup with Chicago on July 15) open doubleheaders capped off by the Menace men in the first and last games of their Premier Development League schedule.
- The Menace has won all four of its home matches played away from Valley Stadium, racking up a 22-4 goal differential in these contests.
- Des Moines’ all-time mark is 29-14-3.
Des Moines Menace 2017 WPSL Schedule
Saturday, May 20 Menace Red vs. Menace Black 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Sunday, June 4 Kansas City Courage 4:30 p.m. at Grimes Soccer Complex
Sunday, June 11 Minnesota TwinStars 4:30 p.m. at Indianola Stadium (at the Indianola Middle School)
Saturday, June 17 at Kansas City Courage 4 p.m. at Rockhurst University
Sunday, June 18 at GSI Pride (Kansas City) 1 p.m. at St. Thomas Aquinas High School
Wednesday, June 21 at Minnesota TwinStars 3:30 p.m. at Minnetonka High School Stadium
Saturday, July 8 at Chicago Red Stars Reserves 4 p.m. at Oak Brook Polo Field
Saturday, July 15 Chicago Red Stars Reserves 4:30 p.m. at Valley Stadium
Sunday, July 16 GSI Pride (Kansas City) 4:30 p.m. at Urbandale Soccer Complex
All game times are central
ABOUT THE MENACE: The Des Moines Menace provides the highest level of soccer in Iowa. Starting its sixth season, the Menace women’s team is part of the Women’s Premier Soccer League (WPSL). The Menace men’s team competes in the Premier Development League (PDL) and is set to begin its 24th season in 2017. With loyal support, the Menace men’s and women’s teams play their home games at the Valley Stadium in West Des Moines to provide family-fun entertainment. The Menace organization provides the growth of the game of soccer in Iowa with its youth soccer programs, including Junior Menace (ages 3-9), Menace Academy (ages 6+), Menace Camps (ages 3-14) and tournaments.